Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Christmas Is For Kids

I didn't get it before.  Then I had kids.  And now I do.  But it's not just for them...it's about, around, inside, throughout, important, meaningful and magical because of them. 

So why not let them do it their way?  Exactly.

Let me present our Christmas decorations as put up by the kids with daddy supervising...



This picture showed up on my phone while out having coffee with friends.  It made me smile...because they're not fighting!

I had no say in anything and I love it all. 

Tree in the Livingroom

First Christmas in the new/old house.  Where to put the tree?  We considered the basement, but this spot in the livingroom won out because we'd actually see it. 


When you walk in the house, this is the view.  I love that it fits next to the niche.


That's Jolly.  He's our Elf On The Shelf.  This is his 3rd season with us.  Every November, we have a discussion about whether he's going to come back for another Christmas.  The boys hope he will and are amazed that he does. 

At the time of these pictures, he found a spot under the star Jake made.  Today he's in the plant.

Jolly's View

 We haven't really figured out how to decorate the rest of the house. 


Like that little photobomber?  He likes the snowflake pillows.  Mostly on the floor.



To keep it real, here's the rest of the area.  Christmas bin still out.  Boxes of Christmas cards waiting to be written.  Random Christmas candle holders.  And chocolate advent calendars.  They were free at Loblaw's.  I may or may not have bought them anyway because that's the kind of Christmas we have here...kid and chocolate driven. 

I did have a hand in one thing, though...


New door = no holes.  I just couldn't bring myself to put a nail in it.  Not this year.  Maybe not next year.  Ever? 


So long as Dollarama bows and 3M command strips exist, I may never need to. 


It's the best $2.00 I've spent this holiday so far.  Unless you count the money spent on ingredients for brown sugar cookies...



I am not a baker.  Or a cook.  My kitchen magic consists mostly of grilled cheese, guacamole and quesadillas.  Oh, can I make a mean quesadilla...

But there is no such thing as a Christmas Quesadilla.  Nor were there pre-made sugar cookies at the grocery store that day.  So now I can add a fourth item to my list of things I can make from scratch.  If scratch includes bread and tortillas.

Still with me?

Good.  Cause these are some damn good cookies.


If you consider good meaning let's start decorating well after bedtime.  At least these kids do.

Every personality came out in the decorating.


This was an unplanned candy cane.  He's my lucky kid. 


This was the world's most scrutinized-over candy cane.  He's my tunnel vision kid.


This cookie was not finished until it had the exact amount of stars on it as predetermined by its creator.  He's the my-way-or-the-highway kid. 

Some call it toddler.  I know toddlers.  This is George. 


In the end, overdue bedtime or not, they all had fun decorating the cookies.  And fun is what happens at Christmas. 

Because in this house...Christmas really is for kids. 








1 comment:

  1. That is your front door? It is amazing! I wouldn't put holes in it, either.

    ReplyDelete