Wednesday, February 08, 2012

More Than Halfway

That's what I keep telling myself.  I'm more than halfway done.  Light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm so tired.

I'm so tired, I even promised Steve I wouldn't start another project for a long time...because this has been a big one. 

Did I really do that...!?

Here's where we are as of this morning.

Upper right skeleton done
Upper left skeleton done

Both upper skeletons are completely painted.  Two coats. 

They were harder than the doors - they have sides, bottom, corners, etc.  Which made them less automatic, but not as monotonous.  Don't know which I prefer.  Maybe when I catch up on my sleep, I'll be able to tell you with a clear head.

Back to the left side.  You noticed something in that second picture?


Yup, they're back on.  These puppies gave me a run for my money. 

I did the left pair first.  The right door of the left pair is totally off.  There isn't a square corner on it.  So before I hung them, I made a list of priorities in order of importance.

1)  make the seam between the doors true (it looked like an inverted triangle before)
2)  make the tops of the doors even with each other and parallel to the countertop
3)  cover the opening

Since the hinges were in a good spot before, I just used the same holes on the backs of the doors.  I filled the holes on the skeletons, so if I hit those original holes (I didn't hit all of them based on the priorities above - yes, they were THAT OFF before), they had some grab when the screws went in.

It all worked well until the right door of the right pair.  The lower screws didn't grab completely, so I had to use longer screws.  For some reason, the longer screws shifted the door to the left which made the doors touch.  AHHHH!  But, it wasn't something the electric sander couldn't handle.  After a pile of sawdust and some paint touch-ups, the doors swing freely.  Yesssssss.

Want to see that gorgeousness up close?

Looks square
Love the jewelry
The knobs look great.  $2.99 each at Home Depot.  I couldn't be happier with them.  They hide the fact that the hinges are a little off.  And that the outside edges of the doors don't line up with the edges of the skeleton...or each other. 

But funny enough, when you look at the doors, you don't see that.  Your eye sees a "T" - the top edge of the doors and the seam.  Straight and straight.  With beautiful circular knobs.

Which is nothing short of a freakin' miracle given how crazy these doors are.

I also ordered the handles for the drawers yesterday. 

Restoration Hardware's "Bistro" Pull

I only have 4 drawers...and on sale for $11.00 each...I couldn't resist.  They're gonna look great.

Ok, back to work.  It's mom's last day here.  I have to paint the 2nd coat on the right upper doors and (gulp) hang the 8 upper right doors today. 

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment