Thursday, September 06, 2012

Company's Coming...!!??

Probably bit off a little more than I could chew. 

Why not!?

We invited my parents to come visit for a weekend.  So, naturally, Steve said, "Let's paint George's room for your parents so they can stay in there instead."  Sure!  Except...he said that on Saturday.  They arrive today. 

And George's room is red.

Ready for some pictures? 

In Action

I almost didn't get any before pictures.  Steve was so gung ho on me getting to work, he started dismantling the crib immediately.  I managed to grab a few, though not staged.

Window
Other Angle

It's a smaaaaall room.  Smallest in the house.  The double bed that's in there (only because the room it belongs in on the 3rd floor is full of stuff) barely fits in the corner. 

Helping Dad

So let's cut to the work.  We knew the color - BM Cloud White - like the rest of the house.  So I ran out to get the primer & paint while the patches were drying.

Holes
Scrapes

I still had trim paint left over from the basement renovation, so I was able to save money by using that.  Phew! 

Now to prime.

"Helping"
Actually Helping
Action Shot

The red was really red.  Like blue-red.  So I put the primer on pretty thick and crossed my fingers. 







Still blue-y.  Keep crossing.

There were a few other issues in the room.  The 2nd vent (yes, the smallest room in the house has two vents - go figure).



And the light switch located randomly in the middle of the wall next to the closet. 

Gross.

Luckily, I've changed a few of these flippers into rockers, so that's on the list of things I can do...

Back to the painting...



Walls, ceiling and trim painted Cloud White.  Getting there...

I decided to cut the room after I rolled the finish paint just because I was running out of steam and needed to see progress happening.  That and I read another blogger who paints this way and prefers it. 

The verdict?  For me, I think I'm a cut before kinda gal.  Rolling and being done is way more satisfying than rolling and more work.  I did learn, however, that I cut way too wide.  I forget how close a roller can get to a corner.  Which is good to keep in mind - maybe cutting won't take as long for me next time...

DOORS!

The only thing I didn't tackle were the doors.  They are bad, hollow, mismatched doors that are placed poorly -the door to the room is on the right, the closet is on the left- and now look like dirty ivory. 

But, since we aren't moving any walls, they will stay where they are.  I just need to look into replacing them with new matching solid doors...or give 'em a nice, new coat of paint.  I bet Steve will prefer the latter. 

So, let's reveal. 

Before
After

I have to caveat here...I'M NOT DONE.  I just ran out of time. 

Count the things that need to happen here.  Missing a pillow, bad nightstand, wrong lamp, random mirror...keep going...

Before
After

I need a new window covering to go over the this-was-a-baby-room blackout roller shade.

At least the outlet cover is new.

Before
After

Not sure what's going to happen here - there's only enough room for you to walk around the foot of the bed.  Maybe just some artwork??

The vent didn't make it - it's currently drying drying on the porch after one coat of paint.  So close!

Before
After

So there you have it.  Five days of work, completed in six, due to three kids during back to school.  Ahh!!

But the good news:  my whole family is descending upon us in October for Henry's annual birthday celebration.  There will be 11 people sleeping under this roof at once.  Every room will be filled.

So that means I'll get another shot at completing this project before the real event gets underway.  Maybe even another project or two...

As for the guests on the way today, I hope they like it better than before!

No comments:

Post a Comment