Thursday, September 20, 2012

We Found An Extra Room!

Did you ever have that dream?  You're in your house, you open a door and...what?...there's a whole other room or floor or 2ND HOUSE you've never seen before!  (Mine's the latter)

Well, today kinda feels like that.  Not a house, but a room.  For the last few weeks, I've been spending every single extra second purging the 3rd floor.  Although it's been such hard work, I haven't shown one picture of it because it's been extremely slow going. 

With purging, it's gotta get worse before it gets better.  But I'm getting there...

Before
After

This is the front bedroom on the 3rd floor.  In the 9 years of living here, we've never actually used it as a bedroom.  It's always been a storage room.  Mostly because it has a big closet along the shared wall (you can see it in the "before" picture above). 

But when the closet filled up, the room took the overflow.

Before
After

Another caveat to the mess:  this room took the brunt of the all the basement stuff during the dig.  Anyone who's done a major renovation to an entire floor knows that is one of the hardest parts.  Finding a temporary home for everything.

Our problem?  I was super pregnant when we moved the stuff, so I didn't purge before moving.  Since it was just thrown in this room randomly, I didn't know what was there.  And I didn't want to bring ANYTHING back down to the pristine, new basement that didn't belong. 

So temporary turned into permanent...

Before
After

...until now!

Wait.  Yes, I know.  I said I'm purging, but I added a toddler.  Since we booted him out of his room for guests, he had to go somewhere.  And although he shares his room with some old doors and a few bins and boxes, he really likes it. 

Meaning: he sleeps like a champ.

This Is What's Left

I still have to email the Door Store to see if they want those doors - they are main floor originals, but our first floor plans don't include doors - and Steve has to go through those boxes you see in the middle. 

Isn't it crazy that someone's life to date can fit in 4 boxes and 3 baskets? 

That steamer is going on craigslist and those blue bins are next on my list.

There's The Closet
The scariest/craziest/hardest part was clearing out that closet.  I hadn't gone through it since late 2005, before I had Jake!  Let's just say I didn't save anything and now I need to buy a shredder.

That closet is packed full again, but at least I know what's in it.  And whatever Steve decides to save from his boxes, it's going in there, too.  And, yes, I'll still be able to close the door.

So, there you have it, an insane amount of work in 5 pictures that make the room still look bad.  Better.  But still bad.

Just so the October visitors reading this post know, I'm not done yet.  My to do list before guest arrival:
- new blackout roller shade window covering
- no bins, boxes or baskets on the floor
- doors gone

The paint job may have to wait until the 2013 visit.  Hey, we need something to look forward to...!

No comments:

Post a Comment