Monday, January 30, 2012

Kitchen Progress. Sorta.

I am the luckiest woman in the world.  My mom (and biggest blog fan) comes tomorrow and stays for a week...with the sole purpose of managing kids so I can get crackin' on the kitchen.  Yessssss.  That alone makes this blog worth way more than I ever thought it would be.

To refresh your memory - and mine - the plan is to spend little to no money on giving the kitchen a facelift.  The emphasis on no money.  So instead of anything being replaced or removed or majorly changed, a nice coat of paint will have to do.  Except my cupboards are made out of plywood.  Poorly.

seams
more seams

Ick.  Not to mention the incredibly visible knots in the plywood that dot the doors randomly.  And the itty bitty moulding on top that really isn't big enough to call moulding.

Oh, hello.

This is my after picture.  Yep, I pulled the "moulding" off because it looks so hideous running down and under the bulkhead.  And, yep, that's a gap between the cabinet and bulkhead which the "moulding" was hiding.  I'll have to keep thinking about how to close that corner...

If anything, I figure whatever I do to the cabinets - putty, sand, prime, paint - they couldn't possibly look any worse than they do now.  At least, that's the hope.

So I started puttying yesterday.

Oy vey

This is my "Oh my God" moment where I freak out and think...  Ok, look what I've done - there's no turning back.  How the heck am I going to do all this?

Well, I didn't get a chance to continue worrying about that because swim and gymnastics got in the way yesterday.  Further puttying put on hold.

But I did get a chance to test drive the new hardware.


Old handles
New knobs

The positioning is wrong (I just stuck them in the bottom hole from the old knobs), but the hardware is right.  I get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I open a cabinet door.  Yup, they're keepers.

So until next crack at puttying, here's a before of the next 4 doors of upper cabinets. 

Get ready

I just hope I have enough mom time scheduled to get at all 23 of these babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment